Second Harvest of South Georgia provides assistance to local, state and federal government agencies for disaster relief. Our location enables us to serve as a staging site for the entire Southeast. We store disaster relief supplies such as water, food, blankets, etc. and can mobilize these resources quickly, having them on site in a crisis within a matter of hours. To find out more about our disaster relief work, contact us at (229) 244-2678 x 200.
Hurricane Season runs from June 1 to September 1. You should take steps to make sure your family is ready.
- Know where to go. If you are ordered to evacuate, know the local hurricane evacuation route(s) to take and have a plan for where you can stay. Contact your local emergency management agency for more information.
- Put together a disaster supply kit, including a flashlight, batteries, cash, first aid supplies, and copies of your critical information if you need to evacuate
- If you are not in an area that is advised to evacuate and you decide to stay in your home, plan for adequate supplies in case you lose power and water for several days and you are not able to leave due to flooding or blocked roads.
- Make a family emergency communication plan.
- Many communities have text or email alerting systems for emergency notifications.To find out what alerts are available in your area, search the Internet with your town, city, or county name and the word “alerts.”
Find more helpful tips at Ready.gov!